What have we been watching? 9/30 '21
A recap of episodic things from our list. Netflix unless otherwise noted.
- Ted Lasso (Apple) is fantastic.
- Madoka Magica, anime. Dark subversion of Magical Girl genre. Excellent.
- Sailor Moon Crystal, anime. Fluffy, unintentionally hilarious. Watching it across from Madoka Magica was really something.
- DS9. We never watched it all before, so we started fresh.
- My Love. Slow paced, pleasant doc of very old people who love each other.
- Way of the Househusband, live-action anime (fansub). Brilliant.
- Squid Game. Bailed out after one episode. Antiheroes everywhere, glorified gore fest.
- Headspace Guide to Meditation, short doc episodes. d likes it.
- Aggretsuko, anime. Starts off goofy, gets deep, but also hilarious.
- Age of Samurai, live-action doc. It was okay, if gory. Too many white people narrating though.
- Korean Cold Noodle Rhapsody, food doc. Interesting history but watching people cram wads noodles in their face was not pleasant.
- Eden, anime. Short futuristic series, lovely visuals. Cute, pleasant.
- Chef's Table BBQ, food doc. A bit "look at these people" but interesting.
- Masters of the Universe: Revelation. It isn't She-Ra but it made the man-children angry so worth a watch.
- High on the Hog, doc about Black influence on American cooking. Highly recommended.
- Legend of Korra, we tried, we really tried, but the voice acting is just so bad, and the characters act so inconsistently and stupidly.
- Nadiya Bakes, British baking doc. She's irresistably perky but much of what she bakes we can't eat.
- Taco Chronicles, food doc (en español). This was wonderful.
- Black Lightning, superhero. Really well done but didn't stick for us.
- Lupin (en français), heist. Honestly just watch Volume 1 and imagine they capped it off rather than put in the final twist. Omar Sy is great tho.
- Luna Nera, fantasy (Italian). Didn't stick either, a bit grating at times.
- Raja, Rasoi aur Anya Kahaniyan (India), food doc. Season 1 is a wonderful tour of the different regions of India, their cuisines, and how the various ruling classes affected what people eat.
- School Nurse Files (Korean), fantasy/horror. Didn't stick.
- Midnight Diner / Tokyo Stories, short stories in Japan. This is pretty good stuff in general, though some episodes are uneven.
- Umbrella Academy, superhero. We choose to believe that everyone dies at the end of Season 1, and are glad there won't be any more.
- The Good Place. Oh fuck yes.
- Stranger Things. This is pretty good!
- Food Wars, anime. We bailed, it was kinda boring.
- Street Food, doc. This series is very good.
- Korean Pork Belly Rhapsody, doc. Two episode series, quite interesting.
Well that's what Netflix said we watched in 2021.