Pickles (again) 8/10 '19
So hey, we made pickles again today.
Last weekend, d had reserved a half bushel of #2 cukes from the farmer's market vendor who also has all the delicious herbs (including dill), price $30. We picked it up this morning, along with some dill flowers. Instead of buying garlic from the market, I got pre-peeled cloves from the Korean grocer. Easy that way to be sure they weren't moldy.
So for each 3 litres of pickles (we made 7+) I used
- 6-8 dill stalks
- 4 smashed garlic cloves
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 aniseed star
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 1 bag of cheap black tea (for tannins)
One batch had a couple hot chiles chopped up and tossed in. Another han double the garlic. Another had double mustard.
These are submerged in 5% brine and sitting in the closet. I also saved some brine from the last batch and "started" them with a splash of that culture.
It was a team effort. K did a lot of cuke trimming and washing, and also cut down the plastic trays we're using to push the cukes under water. D cut and trimmed and ran to the store for more mustard. All I really did was pack the bins, and do a little washing. It's so much easier with a team. And everyone has an investment in the food they'll later enjoy.
With better process and ingredients that aren't mouldy, I'm reasonably sure we won't lose any to infection this year but I guess we'll find out!