It's the wild weekend (and it's 22 degrees out), time for OPW bugwhumping 2/5 '23
- The "cancel" button for new, never-saved comments works reasonably now (broken for a long time).
- Pasting a link to something well-annotated for social sharing, like a CNN article, now generates a nice "open graph" summary again. Also
probably broken for some timesuper broken since ever in half a dozen ways, sorry. Debugged the daylights out of this.
- Image comments (broken by the recent rewrite).
- Layout issues on the iPhone, especially when open graph is in play.
Also, code quality things:
- Removed yet more "dead code" (code no longer in use, exactly like junk DNA: if left in place too long there's a chance it'll be "in use" after all, in some sneaky and incomprehensible way).
- Stopped using the obsolete "request" module to fetch stuff.
All in all, I'd say I got away with the rewrite pretty well. Nothing went hugely sideways. Twitching to do more with the site now, which is a nice feeling after slogging through / dreading the rewrite for so long.
Thanks to all who reported bugs.
Nice Open Graph example (CNN article).
Vastly more important Open Graph example (Mastodon #caturday post).
Looks like Mastodon's og:image tags have site-relative URLs. I noticed 'cuz I had a bug handling those. Amusingly, Facebook does not support relative URLs in open graph at all. This means I now have better support for Open Graph than Facebook. Phbbbbbt.
BTW Open Graph only "unfurls" if you paste a link straight into your text without clicking the link icon in the rich text editor. So if you don't want it, if you just want to type some text and then link it to something because this is the hyper-texter-webs goshdarnit, then type that text, select it and click the link button.
Open Graph still needs some styling love on mobile fixed that shizzle too.
They only go out if you haven’t been reading.