GF & DF cornbread (not vegan) 5/12 '19
There's no flour or dairy in this cornbread recipe.
- 2 cups corn meal
- 2 cups nut milk with 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 4 tbs bacon grease
- 1 tsp each baking soda & baking powder
- 10" crockery or cast iron pan
- Preheat oven to 425F. Put the cooking vessel in to pre-heat for about five minutes.
- Add milk and bacon grease to mixing bowl & heat (microwave, e.g.) until grease melts
- Add other ingredients and fold gently until uniform.
- Remove vessel from oven and gingerly coat with grease.
- Pour batter into vessel, return to oven
- Bake 18-25 minutes until nicely browned and toothpick comes clean
- Let it cool on a rack 5-10 minutes at least before cutting in.
This is a good "substrate" cornbread. It holds together well when cooled, and wants stuff added to it, like gravy or butter or honey or jam or what-have-you. I used nut milk + lemon juice because I didn't want to pay for buttermilk and we have a house mate who can't do lactose; we have a nut milk maker here so it's easy enough to produce for cheap.
I imagine you could start by substituting a vegan shortening for the bacon grease to make it 100% hippie-safe, but you'd also need to do something with the eggs which provide the glue to hold it all together.